All lawful land animals should be slaughtered in compliance with the rules laid down in the Codex Recommended Code of Hygienic Practice for Fresh Meat (CAC/RCP 11, Rev.1-1993.) and the following requirements:
1. The person should be a Muslim who is mentally sound and knowledgeable of the Islamic slaughtering procedures.
2. The animal to be slaughtered should be lawful according to Islamic law.
3. The animal to be slaughtered should be alive or deemed to be alive at the time of slaughtering.
4. The phrase “Bismillah” (In the Name of Allah) should be invoked immediately before the slaughter of each animal.
5. The slaughtering device should be sharp and should not be lifted off the animal during the slaughter act.
6. The slaughter act should sever the trachea, oesophagus, main arteries and veins of the neck region.